Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Work Out 7- Yoga Fix- with pregnancy modifications

DISCLAIMER! I am not a healthcare or fitness professional.  I am a woman who has been pregnant or nursing now for 2 years and has just done lots of research from my doctors and anything that I can find online to try to work out but keep my body and my baby healthy.  These modifications are simply a compilation of that research.  I have modified some exercises, but I did so  just to give others an idea of something that you can do instead.  Feel free to make your own modifications so long as you are keeping your body and baby safe.

YOGA!! Oh my goodness this work out came at the seriously perfect time.  I have been super sore and tired.  This was the PERFECT work out for this time in the week.  It was perfect to help me breathe and stretch and even though it was still hard, I walked away from it feeling nice and calm and energized.  Seriously perfect.

So the thing about this work out is that the poses change and repeat and change again so often it makes it difficult to really write down each work out and the modification.  So what I am writing here are some general rules to follow while doing this work out.

1. Don't stretch too far.  When you're pregnant, you can stretch further than normal, but it still may actually pull muscles and cause injury.  So push yourself, but not too hard.

2. Don't lay flat on your back or flat on your belly.  For these exercises I will either do the same basic motion while sitting, or leaning back against a couch or on my elbows if it is possible.  Just keep stretching and moving and breathing deep.

3.  The last pose, the "corpse pose", just lay on your left side for optimal circulation with knees slightly bent and relaxing and breathing deep.

I hope you all love this work out as much as I did!!  It was the perfect thing to loosen your muscles and relax you.  And bonus- if you have a little one they can sit with you almost the whole time without freaking out because you are ignoring them in order to get your work out on!  At least that was the case for me.  And while I was stretching it was fun to try and get her to stretch and do some of the positions as well.  We both definitely got a kick out of it.

2 comments:

  1. I was curious about the stretch at the end where you drop your knees to one side and look over the opposite shoulder...it feels great but I read not to twist abdomen...guess i have the same concern with suspine strech (where you put elbow on knee and look back). Have you found those are okay while pregnant? :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com